Sunday, March 22, 2009

Birthday surprises!

Really, where does time go? I thought I had been slow in writing last time, but now even more time has passed and I have not written anything. This was not how I planned it, but never mind, a post a month is better than nothing, but it doesn't keep everything in mind that I wanted to write. Oh well!


So I had a birthday earlier this month and an anniversary. My birthday was a Monday and we had 10 inches of snow that day, so plans by my friend to take me to lunch were cancelled and I spent the day sewing and trying to get some fabric samples pleated for a project I am involved in (more on that later or another time). Anyway, it was not a bad day, even if it was not the one planned. I had lots of cards that had been delivered already (the postman did not come that day-another myth destroyed as they say they always get through, 'no wind, no rain, no hail, no snow' or whatever their motto is was not true on that day) and a couple of presents from friends in the UK. I also got phone calls from various friends, so I was not forgotten. My parents and I had had a video link via the computer the day before so I was not woken up with a phone call from my Mum singing to me (a tradition that it is fine to end as neither my mother nor I can actually carry a tune).


The day following my birthday is our wedding anniversary and this year we made number 30, which is the pearl anniversary. We had said no presents as I have pearl earrings, necklaces and rings, but I came down to a present at breakfast- a pearl and silver bracelet that is really nice. What can I say, my husband is a keeper!


I had a meeting of my chapter of the Smocking Arts Guild of America (SAGA)that morning and had signed up to take snack, so left to get things set up at the church where we meet. I was first there as usual and got my snack laid out and coffee started. My sewing friends began to arrive, slowly as the roads were still covered in snow in places and schools had a late start. A friend from NY state arrived and totally surprised me as she had another friend from Pennsylvania with her! They had been planning the surprise and thought all was lost with the snow storm, but Wanda left PA when the snow ended and said she had a good drive as the main roads were well cleared. I was speechless to see her there as we had talked on my birthday for half and hour and I had no clue! Then, there was another surprise as Wanda had made a cake for me and it was decorated with fondant icing sewing tools! It was a work of art she had put a lot of thought into every detail. She had made a mould of her sewing scissors and thimble so they were life size on the cake and the embroidery in the sewing hoop was not complete, but had blue marking where the next piece of stitching was to be (we use a washable blue pen to mark our embroidery lines with). Needless to say I was totally blown away by it all and could not believe it was all for me! It was a shame to cut it and eat it.


Once I got over that, we continued with our usual programme of business meeting and Show and Share, we took our break for coffee and some of my cake before we did our programme and then those that were free and able went to lunch, which of course included Wanda and Kim (from NY state who was hosting Wanda) and another couple of good sewing friends.


It took me ages to tell my husband about my morning and we enjoyed a piece of cake with our cup of tea that afternoon and I was able to take some to my art class the next day for the ladies there to enjoy as well as freeze some.


So, what can I say but I am truly amazed at the fact that people think I am special enough to travel two and half hours after a snow storm to surprise me and that I deserve the time and effort it took to make that cake! I have such a great circle of freinds, not just in the sewing world and although I am an only child, have never been lonely as there is always someone I can call on.

No comments:

Post a Comment