Tuesday, January 6, 2009

How I spend my time....

Okay, so it has taken me a few days to get back to my blog. I think I have time to write something and then I get busy doing something else on the computer and the mood for adding to the blog has left me.

So what do I do on the computer that keeps me busy? Well, apart from everyday boring things like on-line bill paying, banking and such, I edit a quarterly 24 page membership magazine for a national sewing organisation the Smocking Arts Guild of America (SAGA). Basically I solicit articles, designs and such from the members, add items from the chapter newsletters I receive, take photos, collate it all and send it to a graphic artist to layout. Then I proof the printers version and okay that. I also answer questions from members and answer to our board. All of this is voluntary and can take from 10-20 hours a week of my time depending on what part of the quarterly cycle I am in. We also have a national convention and I attend with camera in hand to take photos of events, daily classes, people and such. Thank goodness for digital photography, as I would not take so many photos if I used film and at least with digital I get to review them straight away and delete the bad ones!

Another time consuming computer occupation is originally coming from England, we still have friends and family there, so we are able to keep in touch via emails. This also applies to our many friends over here. So much easier to send an email as there is often a time difference to consider.

Anyway, that explains some of where my time goes each day on the computer, but then there is the life away from the computer doing the boring household things like washing, drying, cooking. My hobbies such as sewing take up time too. I like to do handwork when I sit down in the evenings to watch TV and I do any machine work during the day. I always have several projects on the go from smocking and embroidery, to knitting and crochet. I have more ideas of things I want to make than I will ever have time to complete. Like many people who sew I have a stash that never seems to get any smaller, even though I really have been very good and not added to it for many months. I have been trying to make things using everything from my stash (and that includes buttons, trim and threads). It makes it so much more satisfying to know that I didn't have to buy anything. The things I like to make are varied, but since learning about smocking and heirloom sewing some 12 years ago, I make quite a few children's items. Not having any children ourselves, most of the things I make get given away (but I photograph them and keep a record). I always have something on hand for a new baby and make friends little girls dresses and such. I am sure I will cover this area of my life and interests in more detail ad infinitum.


I also attend a watercolour art class each week and although I rarely find time to paint at home, do enjoy my three hours in class. Depending on the time of year, I also have the small front and back gardens to attend too, which are planted with perennials, so not too difficult to maintain. Then there are organizations I belong to with meetings to attend, such as the local chapter of SAGA and a group for woman with British connections, called the Daughter's of the British Empire (DBE), which sounds very pompous, but isn't. Plus the all important lunches with friends here and there. Some weeks I hardly find time to be at home during the day!

All that having been said, time waits for no man and it's dinner time. So I end today's blog and get on with my other life.

No comments:

Post a Comment